Saturday 9 October 2010

Abandoned Places: Baghdad Road

Oops, I must have got the name wrong when I first visited the place in the evening.

Parked at the right timing near Sultan Mosque, I have evaded the parking summon where the enforcement officer who just made his rounds when I was placing my coupons.

Took a few wide shots of the conserved buildings along Arab Street before making my way back to that place that was just opposite Sultan House that had been fenced up.

Since I've been past that old shophouse I wanted so much to go back, this is the best time to take shots while day light is bright.  There are a couple of rag and bone men doing their rounds of collecting used carboard and using the main gate of the small passageway as their "warehouse", completely unoblivious of me taking from outside. 

I shall go in.

The structure of the building reminded me of my granny's place in Jalan Ampas, which though, is made of zinc and wood, the era is identical.  But from the debris, the place looks like the place is more than 50 years old.  From the engravement on surrounding buildings, that engraved 1922, that could well suggest that the place could be as old as what other buildings had been branded.  All the places in the house look  quite okay except the last room that was almost pitch dark and could only be illuminated with my flash.

Beyond those sealed doors are actually leading to the back alley which I could see activities of life - lockers of workers who work in the building beside the dilapidated shophouse that was still active.

It has to be the most fruitful event of the trip as I continue my collection of abandoned places.

0 comments:

Post a Comment